Jump directly to the content
BUG TRAGEDY

Scots dad dies from rare flesh-eating bug days after cutting leg on box during house move

A SCOTS dad-of-two died from a flesh-eating bug after cutting his leg on a box while moving house.

David Hemmings, 54, tragically passed away in hospital just three days after moving into his new home with wife Margaret, 52.

2
David Hemmings died from a rare flesh-eating bugCredit: Margaret Hemmings/Media Scotland
2
David and wife Margaret just moved into their new homeCredit: gofundme

The couple were looking forward to moving into their new house with a garden after struggling with the stairs in a top floor flat as David had problems with his legs for years, the Daily Record reported.

After getting the keys to their home, David, from Motherwell, started complaining his leg was sore.

He was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital on Friday, September 16.

Doctors then found a cut on David's leg had become infected.

Sadly, Margaret and their sons James, 20, and Lee, 16, were told that his condition had deteriorated and wouldn't survive.

David died in hospital on Saturday, September 17.

His cause of death was Necrotising fasciitis - known as the "flesh-eating disease".

Paying tribute to her husband, Margaret told the Daily Record: "David was a very well known person here and if anyone needed help he would be the first to offer.

"He was always seen out and about walking our dog and was on the Forgewood House Tenants committee.

"He was looking forward to having a garden and being able to potter about at his own pace. We loved growing our own produce and we had an allotment but hadn't been able to get down in a while.

"It is all still such a shock. He only got three days in our new house. We will all really miss him and everyone who knew him will miss him. It is a shock for everybody."

A fundraiser has now been set up in a bid to raise money for David's family to cover funeral costs.

A statement on the page read: "He was a great family man, done everything for his wife and two sons.

"He had just been offered a back and front door house after struggling to climb stairs to a top floor flat. He was looking forward to spending time in his very own garden.

"Struggling to empty his three bedroom house he cut his leg which turned septic, went to hospital on Friday and sadly died on Saturday 17th Sept.

"His poor family have been left devastated and every bit helps to take the worry and burden from the family."

You can donate to the fundraiser here.

We pay for your stories and videos! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun? Email us at [email protected] or call 0141 420 5300

Topics