BRIAN Laundrie was named a person of interest in the case of Gabby Petito's disappearance.
Brian, 23, was wanted by the FBI for fraudulent bank activity after he allegedly used Gabby's bank cards after her death.
Where was Brian Laundrie found?
On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, the cause of death for Brian Laundrie was officially released.
“Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head and the manner of death was suicide," he said.
"Chris and Roberta are still mourning the loss of their son and are hopeful that these findings bring closure to both families."
The official manner of death is listed as suicide, according to the lawyer.
Brian Laundrie's remains were officially identified on October 21, 2021, after an extensive search at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.
The FBI released a statement after it was confirmed on October 21 that the human remains found in the search for Brian were bones.
The statement read: "On October 21, 2021, a comparison of dental records confirmed that the human remains found at the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve and the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park are those of Brian Laundrie."
more from brian laundrie
Bertolino confirmed that Brian's parents were informed of the finding, saying: "Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the remains found yesterday in the reserve are indeed Brian’s.
The search for Brian was on its fifth week as authorities tracked down leads and attempt to find him.
Prior to being located, former US Marshal, Lenny DePaul, believed that Brian was "sleeping with one eye open" because "innocent people don’t run."
Authorities had investigated the Appalachian Trail while many still believed that he built a doomsday bunker and was hiding out under his parents' flower bed.
However, on October 19, Brian's personal items were discovered near a trail in Myakkahatchee Creek Park, his lawyer confirmed.
On June 24, 2022, pictures of Brian's notebook, which was found at the park, were released and revealed that he admitted to "ending" Gabby's life before taking his own.
What was Gabby's cause of death?
Almost a month later, on October 12, strangulation was revealed to be the cause of death.
Teton County Coroner Blue added that Gabby's predicted death was three to four weeks before her body was found.
Dr Blue also confirmed that Gabby was not pregnant but wasn't able to go into much detail because of state laws.
Brian Laundrie timeline
Brian Laundrie has not been seen since the morning of September 13. Here is a timeline of Laundrie's latest whereabouts:
- July 2021: Brian Laundrie and his fiancé Gabby Petito leave for a grip across the country. The couple visit numerous national parks across the way.
- August 12: Police in Utah respond to an incident involving the couple. The bodycam footage is not released for another month but it shows a visibly upset Gabby talking to police after reports of a domestic violence incident outside a grocery store.
- August 24: Gabby is seen leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, with Laundrie.
- September 1: Laundrie returns to his home in North Port, Florida without Gabby.
- September 6: Laundrie joins his family on a camping trip about 75 miles from their home in North Port.
- September 11: Gabby's family reports her missing.
- September 13: Laundrie leaves home to go hiking in Carlton Reserve, Florida. His family had initially said he departed on September 14, but revised their timeline weeks later.
- September 15: Laundrie is named a person of interest in the case of Gabby.
- September 16: Bodycam footage is released regarding the incident between Gabby and Laundrie.
- September 19: The FBI announces a body found at a Wyoming national park is believed to be that of Gabby's.
- September 23: The FBI issued a warrant for Laundrie's arrest claiming he "used unauthorized debit cards after Gabby Petito's death."
- September 26: A funeral is held for Gabby in New York.
- September 27: Dog the Bounty Hunter announces he will lend a hand and help search for Laundrie.
- September 28: Gabby's family held an emotional press conference as the search for Laundrie continued.
- October 5: Laundrie's sister, Cassie, appeared on Good Morning America and urged her brother to come forward.
- October 7: Laundrie's father, Chris Laundrie, assisted law enforcement in the search to find his son.
- October 12: Gabby's autopsy results were made public. Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed Gabby died by strangulation.
- October 20: Laundrie's personal items were found near the Myakkahatchee Creek Park trail in Florida. The medical examiner was called to the scene to investigate.
- October 21: Reports stated the human remains found in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park were bones.
- October 21: The FBI confirmed the remains found have been identified as Laundrie's.
- January 21, 2022: The FBI released its final investigative statement on Gabby's case. The statement said, "The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito."
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?